Thursday, January 3, 2019

A Mother's Indifference

I groaned as I finished dressing for the day. The routine that always comforted me only irritated me now. It only reminded me of my demotion. The other Snow Leopards weren't mad at me but merely wished for what they saw as a stronger ruler. It made sense as there could be no mistakes with what was currently unraveling. One misstep could undo centuries of hard work. If the plan failed there was no chance it could ever be completed.

However, it still annoyed me that they decided to allow a new Fangser to be in charge of New Venice. I put on my fedora which completed my outfit. My reflection showed a Dreth that was reminiscent of the days when the Rethi ruled the world. A much simpler time. A time that I would've perished in.

The building I lived in hadn't been changed from the time of the Rethi. Well, that wasn't entirely true. While it still looked like it had millennia ago, the technology had been greatly updated. A rare gift from the Council of Ant. With one last look in the mirror, I left the apartment. As a Ser I was allowed a room above a shop.

"Ser Marsh Jamia," A few Avsers said.

One of the men offered me their coffee. The coffee shop was bustling with life as the sun was just rising. Because I didn't want to be rude I accepted the cup. The smile that came over the Dreth's face seemed like it was out of a cartoon. It was an exaggeration of a smile. As I drank I wondered how many times he had been passed over for a promotion. He most likely hoped that my acceptance of his cup would mean things would change.

"I don't need your name or story." I said once I finished the coffee. "Merely prove yourself and you will become a Ser."

"I have prayed to Fang-" The Avser stopped once my hand was raised.

"There is your problem. You need to learn that Fang's blessing is no longer yours. You must learn that the only strength is the one you gain for yourself."

"Isn't that...blasphemy?"

"Hardly. We accept the full wrath of Gaia without protection. If we suffer that is our punishment. To become a Ser you must forgo the comforts of our kind."

This chapter is a bonus chapter so only donators to my MY PATREON can view it.

If you are a donator you can view the full chapter HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment