Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Sentencing of Sal Ray

The stars were coming out over Gaia as I started to make a fire. There was a chill in the air that extended beyond the physical that a fire could not hope to heat. But still my body needed its limited comforts and so I made the fire. The simple action of building it and watching the flames rise up allowed my mind to settle.

Throughout the past few days I had been running so that the Snow Leopards or their ilk wouldn't get me. I had been blamed of a crime I hadn't committed merely so that the truth wouldn't be let out. The Council knew that my fellow Drethiveal would be too disgusted by an accusation of bestiality to look any farther. That crime was one of the worst and with good reason. It was also a crime one could be accused of so that the Council could continue its manipulations.

I started to cook a meager meal over the fire, my mouth watering at the closeness of a cooked dinner. As the wonderful scent came to me, I looked at the mountains off in the distance. I had traveled very far to be safe and there would be a few more days until I would feel like I could rest. And after my body had healed, as much as it could, I would start searching for them.

The meat was more than delicious and I was glad that Gaia had given me a deer to kill. It had been stupid of me to try and hunt while being chased, more than stupid. But the need for something other than insects and other small food was great. I couldn't continue to run without eating something more. The anxiety caused not only by the chase but by the fact I was making a very serious decision was getting to me. I was no stranger to sacrificing for the greater good, but this was much different. This was understanding that the greater good wasn't what I thought it was and continuing on. I could've ended my life when I had found out the truth: the truth only the Descendents repeated.

Hearing a rustle I stopped eating and turned to look. All of my senses were on high alert and I wondered if my pursuer had finally caught up to me. I didn't want to die now, or ever, but at least I had food in my stomach. At least I would die by a warm fire. My muscles tightened and then relaxed when a squirrel dashed across the ground. I breathed out a sigh of relief as my pursuer didn't Aveal into that creature and he couldn't fully Aveal, at least not that I was aware of.

I stopped myself from laughing in case he was actually close by. The man had been hard to get away from and part of me did admire how well he did his job, but that didn't change the fact that we were enemies. Mere admiration would never change reality.

This chapter is a bonus chapter so only donators to my MY PATREON can view it.

If you are a donator you can view the full chapter HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment